Qualifications and accreditation
What’s accreditation? It’s the formal recognition of an individual’s achievements and is linked to an internal or external standard.
Getting your volunteer mentor or befriender training accredited may be something that could benefit you, your organisation and your volunteers.
National qualification in mentoring and befriending
We’re developing a national qualification in mentoring and befriending with Skills for Justice. The qualification will be available early 2012 and will be based on the new National Occupational Standards in mentoring and befriending for offenders and will be part of the Qualifications and Curriculum Framework (QCF).
The award will be at Level 3 and consist of four units. There will be three mandatory units as follows:
- Agree the purpose and boundaries of the mentoring and befriending relationship
- Provide support through mentoring and befriending
- Develop a trusting relationship with individuals
One optional unit will then be chosen from the list below:
- Develop and review an action plan for the mentoring and befriending relationship
- Support individuals to overcome challenges and associated risks in their lives
- Manage the mentoring and befriending relationship to a successful conclusion
- Support and encourage individuals in addressing their problematic behaviour
- Support individuals towards their resettlement in the community from a custodial environment
The qualification which has now been finalised for submission and recognition on the QCF will be an award rather than a full NVQ with Skills for Justice being the awarding body (who are in the process of applying to become an awarding body).
MBF will be developing training materials to support the delivery of the award. Organisations that are able to deliver the award will either need to become approved centres or link to an existing approved centre. Although costs have not yet been confirmed the award itself is likely to cost around £60 per candidate for the four units (this does not include costs for materials and external assessment).
Look out for updates about the qualification in our e-bulletin.