The Mentoring and Befriending Foundation(MBF) helped organisations increase the effectiveness and quality of their mentoring and befriending programmes.
From April 2015, MBF transferred the delivery of its core services and these are now provided by NCVO. The services provided include:
- the Approved Provider Standard
- the national training programme of short courses
- a range of resources and toolkits.
Approved Provider Standard
The NCVO Mentoring and Befriending’s Approved Provider Standard (APS) is the national quality standard developed specifically for mentoring and befriending services. It can be applied to projects delivered locally, regionally or nationally.
The quality standard supports safe and effective practice in mentoring and befriending. This includes peer support taking place in schools and colleges.
It covers four key areas:
- management and operation
- service users (mentees and befriendees)
- mentors and befrienders
- the mentoring and befriending relationship.
National training programme
Our training programme consists of short courses designed to help organisations develop good practice in mentoring and befriending.
Our courses take place across the country and are relevant to anyone interested in setting up a new programme, or organisations that want to develop and improve their services.
Our courses are designed in line with the requirements of our quality standard (APS) and draw from the good practice identified in APS approved projects.
What are the courses available?
The five core courses are:
- Setting up and managing a mentoring or befriending programme: part A
- Setting up and managing a mentoring or befriending programme: part B
- Preparing and delivering mentor and befriender training
- Behaviours and skills of effective mentors and befrienders
- Measuring the outcomes of mentoring and befriending.
We also provide in-house training for organisations or groups of organisations. Courses include:
- mentoring skills for volunteer mentors
- befriending skills for volunteer befrienders
- peer mentoring skills for students.
Resources and toolkits
We have a range of resources providing practical advice, guidance and training materials and these include our popular toolkits:
- Setting up a successful mentoring or befriending programme
- Training volunteer mentors and befrienders.
We also have toolkits which have been developed to support effective peer mentoring and peer support in schools and colleges: